- 8oz penne pasta (gluten free)
- 2tablespoons olive oil (drained from sun-dried tomatoes jar)
- 1pound shrimp (without shells, and deveined)
- 3garlic cloves minced
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 4oz sun-dried tomatoes (without oil)
- 4garlic cloves , minced
- 1cup half and half
- 1cup mozzarella cheese , shredded (never frozen)
- 1tablespoon dried basil (if using fresh basil you can add more)
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes , crushed, add more to taste
- 1/8teaspoon paprika
- 1/2cup reserved cooked pasta water (or more)
- 1/4teaspoon salt
"Don’t have a menu for the day? No worries! This is just one of those meals that is a no brainer! Instead of ordering out you can get this super tasty meal on the table and satisfy the whole family, when you are press for time. An easy pasta dish that’s simple, flavorful and incredibly hearty. And all you need is 30 min to whip this up!
Cooking time : 30 minutes Serves : 4
Step 1: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water, drain remaining water. Set aside.
Step 2: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add shrimp, minced garlic and cook the shrimp on one side for about 1 minute, until shrimp turns pink or golden brown on that side. While it cooks, sprinkle the top of shrimp with salt to cover every single shrimp.
Step 3: After 1 minute, flip the shrimp over to the other side and cook for about 30 seconds or 1 minute more. The shrimp should be golden color or pink on both sides and not overcooked. Remove the shrimp to a plate, being careful to leave all the oil in the skillet.
Step 4: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add drained tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant. The skillet should be hot. Add half and half to the hot skillet with sun-dried tomatoes and bring to boil. Add shredded cheese to the skillet, and stir in while boiling.
Step 5: Immediately reduce to simmer and cook, constantly stirring, until all the cheese melts and the creamy sauce forms. If the sauce is too thick, add a small amount of half and half or reserved cooked pasta water. Add basil, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaves, paprika. Stir.
Step 6: Add the pasta to the skillet and reheat gently on medium heat. Add the cooked shrimp and stir it in. season with salt and pepper to taste. If the pasta is too dry, add a bit of the reserved pasta water or a small amount of half and half. Let everything simmer on low heat for a couple of minutes for flavors to combine.
Step 7: Serve generous sprinkle of finely chopped parsley, more parmesan cheese and some freshly cracked black pepper.
- If using sun-dried tomatoes in oil (in a jar), make sure to drain sun-dried tomatoes from oil, before using them. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this drained oil for sauteing the shrimp as described below
- Make sure not to crowd the shrimp in the skillet, otherwise moisture will form and shrimp won't sear right
- Make sure to salt the dish just enough to bring out of the flavors of basil and sun-dried tomatoes
- To make 1 cup of half and half do this: combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy, or whipping cream