- (4-5 pound) pork butt/shoulder, skin on
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or refined coconut oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons fennel seeds
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
Braised Pork Shoulder in slow cooker
"This recipe is for almost every big family to get host together at home. It feeds a lot of people on the cheap. Use it for carnitas, burritos, rice bowls, nachos, salads, pulled pork sandwiches, or for whatever your heart desires. This meat is very flavorful and incredibly juicy."
Cooking time : 6 - 8 hours Serves : 6 - 8
Step 1: Place the pork butt on a large cutting board and blot with paper towels. Slide a sharp knife under the skin around the roast to separate it slightly in a few places, making “pouches.” (Be careful not to remove the skin from the meat entirely.) Lightly score the top of the fat in a crisscross pattern.
Step 2: Mix the remaining ingredients by hand or in a blender to form a paste. Cut the meat up into even pieces, about the size of your fist and season with the paste and rub the remaining paste all over the pork. Place on a roasting rack, cover the pork with foil, and refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
Step 3: Remove the pork from the refrigerator and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Heat olive oil in the pan on medium heat. Place meat in hot pan and brown it in batches. When browned on all sides, transfer meat to the slow cooker. Add rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper
Step 4: In the same pan, sauté pancetta, onions, garlic and fennel seeds. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes until onions are soft. Pour mixture on top of the meat in the slow cooker. While the pan is still hot, pour in wine, stirring continuously to release any browned bits from the bottom. Transfer wine to the slow cooker and add chicken broth.
Step 5: Cover slow cooker and cook on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours. During last 2 hours of cooking, add carrots.
Step 6: Skim off any fat from the surface and remove meat. Slice or shred meat and pour a little sauce over the top. Serve warm.
- For bone-in, remove the meat from the bone, and discard the bone (unless you can freeze and use it for something else, like bone broth).