- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic or roasted garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 small bunch asparagus, about 15 spears, cut into 1-inch piece
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (packed)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
Quinoa salad with asparagus, chicken and avocado
"This quinoa salad is equally tasty warm after it’s first put together as well as later on after it’s chilled, which makes it a perfect pot luck type dish. The lemon dressing is light and delicious and you will love how the creamy avocado contrasts with the asparagus. You will especially love the little pop you get from the quinoa"
Cooking time : 30 minutes Serves : 4
Step 1: Add water, quinoa, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.Transfer cooked quinoa to a large bowl and let cool.
Step 2: Pour olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and roasted garlic, stirring it all around to coat with oil. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and salt. Stir and cook until chicken is done, about 8 minutes. Add cooked chicken, oranges, and avocado to the quinoa. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Step 3: While the quinoa is cooking, cook the asparagus. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the asparagus and fresh lemon juice. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Step 4: In a large bowl, combine quinoa, asparagus, oranges, and avocado. For the dressing whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and stir until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the fresh basil and Serve immediately. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- If you love cilantro as much as I do feel free to increase to 1/2 cup.
- I simply squeezed the juice out of a couple pieces of the oranges I threw into the quinoa salad for the 1 Tablespoon needed in the dressing.